NO YOLKS® Skillet Salsa Chicken with Noodles
- Product: NO YOLKS® Broad noodles
- Prep. 25 minutes
- Makes: 4 servings
The added protein from black beans adds a fibre boost and also allows you to use less ground chicken in this budget conscious variation on the traditional taco supper.
4 cups (1 L) NO YOLKS® Broad Noodles
1/2 lb (250 g) lean ground chicken or turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) each chopped green pepper and frozen corn kernels
2 tsp (10 mL) each chili powder and cumin
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 cup (250 mL) mild or medium salsa (approx.)
1 cup (250 mL) canned no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup (175 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
Shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and low fat sour cream (optional)
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brown the chicken with the onion, green pepper, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a large, deep nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the salsa, broth and black beans to the skillet. Bring to a boil; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked noodles until coated. Serve with shredded Cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream and additional salsa to garnish individual bowls at the table.
- Substitute extra lean ground beef for the chicken.
- For a spicier dish, use hot salsa and add hot sauce or hot pepper flakes to taste.
- Replace the chili powder and cumin with 4 tsp (20 mL) taco seasoning.